Img Source - MUTI
Bluetooth® location-based services are widely used in many industries, including tracking assets inside buildings. By implementing Bluetooth® Low Energy location tracking into the company’s infrastructure, you can monitor objects in real time and get detailed movement analytics for optimizing the company’s performance.
Bluetooth® Low Energy refers to wireless technology meant for reduced power consumption. Bluetooth® LE-based devices are used for data transmission over short distances and are a perfect fit for asset monitoring in the workplace. Statistically speaking, the Bluetooth® LE market has been growing relentlessly. According to the Industry Arc forecasts, by 2026, it will grow by an average of 19.68% per year and reach $16.7 billion in volume.
ASSET TRACKING WITH BLUETOOTH® LE: KEY FEATURES
Bluetooth® Low Energy asset tracking provides lower power consumption and affordable implementation cost compared to regular Bluetooth®. The main features of Bluetooth® Low Energy include:
- applying specifically for short-range communications;
- different devices interacting with each other;
- compatibility with almost any smartphone or tablet;
- suitability for low bandwidth applications and sensors;
- making devices “smarter” and easier to use.
BLUETOOTH® LOCATION TRACKING COMPONENTS
Bluetooth® LE is a wireless technology meant for reducing energy consumption in comparison with regular Bluetooth®. Working in the same range as regular Bluetooth®, the system allows for real-time object tracking and is perfect for cases when the battery life is more essential than the data flow rate. Typically, Bluetooth® location accuracy is below 16 ft.
Bluetooth® LE tags
The introduction of the Bluetooth® LE location tracking systems requires special Bluetooth® LE beacons that are attached to the equipment and send out signals at certain intervals. They look like tiny battery-powered sensors capable of transmitting data over short distances.
Benefits of Using Bluetooth® Beacons for Asset Location Tracking
Beacons are considered some of the most effective indoor tracking devices. Using them is a good idea for several reasons, including the following:
- beacons are light and small, which makes them easy to put on any assets, including equipment;
- the sensors have a wider range than RFID tags, so they work more efficiently in large areas or open spaces;
- beacons are powered by small batteries, making them suitable for portable tracking;
- beacons don’t require additional reading equipment - they send out signals that are easily recognized by Bluetooth® LE devices;
- multiple devices can read Bluetooth® Low Energy IDs at the same time;
- beacons don’t require scanning and provide real-time, quick, and continuous asset recognition.
To perform accurate asset tracking with Bluetooth® Low Energy, businesses use gateways that pick up signals from beacons throughout the premises and send the resulting data to a tracking platform. Manufacturer Quuppa offers users Q35 Locator antennas that can track objects even in difficult conditions. Their characteristic features include:
- high data throughput;
- simple deployment and installation;
- high accuracy (less than 1 meter);
- the presence of an exhaust valve for stable operation in extreme conditions;
- impact, UV, salt water resistant.
After being implemented into the system, the platform receives data from readers, processes it, and delivers the finished product to users. Our company offers the Navigine Tracking platform.
The key features of the Navigine Tracking platform include:
- Allowing for tracking the movement of equipment and getting analytical data in real time. The platform builds interactive maps, shows various access zones, and saves the history of object movements.
- Using the platform, you can send push notifications to the staff and adjust their daily tasks. This approach ensures direct contact between the employees and the management, which boosts business process development.
- Moving object positioning: when beacons are installed on cars or vehicles, you can always be aware of their location and build optimal routes.
- The platform carefully gathers movement data, including the stay time at different zones. It allows for minimizing the number of emergencies and optimizing the performance of the company.
Navigine Tracking can easily be adjusted to meet the needs of any client. It can be used in any industry, such as manufacturing, shopping centers, and healthcare.
CHARACTERISTICS AND ADVANTAGES OF TRACKING ASSETS AND OBJECTS USING BLUETOOTH® LE
Nowadays many businesses need an efficient and simple way of tracking assets without spending too much. Bluetooth® LE location tracking helps solve this problem and provides a detailed analysis of the object movements.
The main advantages and characteristics of the system include:
- Low cost and high profitability. These beacons don’t cost a lot so the system doesn’t require high implementation costs.
- Versatility. Antennas and Bluetooth® LE beacons can be integrated with the existing systems and networks, which significantly saves money. Beacons and antennas ensure tracking in real-time, both indoors and outside.
- High data rate. The system can transmit data two times faster than other technologies, which reduces the labor costs of the managers involved.
- Low energy consumption. Bluetooth® LE beacons consume very little energy. They work with batteries with a service life of up to 5 years.
- Wide coverage range. The Bluetooth® tracking technology ensures a four times wider coverage range for tracking location compared to other technologies. Thanks to this, you need less equipment and lower implementation costs to organize tracking.
- High security. The signals which are emitted by the beacons are sent via mobile networks. They pass through the central gateway, which makes data transfer safer.
BLUETOOTH® TRACKING: AREAS OF APPLICATION
Bluetooth® object tracking can be used in various industries, from manufacturing to agriculture and healthcare. Let’s review some common scenarios of the system application.
Asset tracking in healthcare makes it possible to effectively monitor medical equipment and medication. Doctors and nurses can easily find the necessary equipment and medical supplies and manage them carefully. This reduces the routine work and helps save time that the staff can dedicate to patient care. Control and monitoring are carried out in real time with RTLS, which simplifies asset use and makes them more profitable.
Asset tracking is particularly relevant in manufacturing where it’s essential to control products on the way from production buildings to loading zones. Equipment tracking systems allow for tracking any type of movement. It helps monitor stocked items and vehicles. Moreover, it allows for avoiding downtime and getting some other benefits, such as:
- optimizing logistics;
- improving occupational safety;
- minimizing the number of emergencies;
- reducing downtime costs.
Logistics and Warehouses
With real-time tracking, warehouse management can get exact information on asset location indoors. The system provides interactive maps, allowing for adjusting and getting analytical reports. It improves asset security and helps reduce time on searching for the necessary stall, forklift, or other equipment.
Learn more about forklift tracking software here.
In office spaces, this technology is needed for notifying people in various situations. It’s particularly relevant in large office buildings where the flow of people is big. Using this technology, companies can coordinate staff performance and adjust current tasks. The data can be useful for optimizing staff productivity and increasing office efficiency.
To understand how Bluetooth® LE asset tracking works, let's take a look at a case study from Navigine for an American warehousing and logistics company. During the beginning of the partnership, the company in question faced multiple issues such as difficulties in finding products, lack of digital mapping of the warehouses, and controlling the movement of assets.
To solve these problems, we installed beacons by MOKOSmart and developed a Bluetooth® Low Energy location tracking platform. The software provided data on the location of products in the warehouse and the movement of equipment in real time. As a result, the company was able to increase productivity by 5%, impressively optimize warehouse space, and significantly reduce the amount of compensation for accidents.
If your company is interested in Bluetooth® location tracking, Navigine is ready to help with integrating it into your infrastructure. We offer our customers effective Navigine Tracking software, which provides a set of features for controlling the movement of objects. The Bluetooth® Low Energy asset tracking system uses AI and provides higher positioning accuracy through additional data collection with wearable devices. Our experts provide the necessary technical support, as well as installation instructions, and help with settings according to your company’s specific needs.
Navigine specializes in developing tools that can perform precise object tracking using Bluetooth® LE. We offer platforms suitable for different industries that help optimize the efficiency of business processes. Find out more by filling out the form on our website or by booking a Zoom consultation: