How To Develop An App With Indoor Navigation
There are only 4 simple STEPS for a successful navigation setup.
- Setting up iBeacon infrastructure.
- Deployment of beacons
- Creating maps.
- Developing application with SDK.
Let’s examined more closely every step.
Setting Up iBeacon Infrastructure
Prior to installing beacons in the target locations, you need to configure them. Use the Navigine Setting or beacon supplier application for beacon configuration.
One way to configure the beacons is via the Navigine Setting application at mobile devices.
- UUID: name of the group of beacons (for example “Airport JFK”, “White House”)
- Major: name of the sub-group of beacons (for example “Floor 1”, “Floor 2”)
- Minor: name of each beacon (for example “Beacon 1”, “Beacon 2”)
- TX Power: signal strength (RSSI - received signal strength indication) which is measured at one-meter distance from the beacon. (for example -60 dBm, -70 dBm)
- Advertising (Transmission) interval: an indicator of the periodicity of sending signals from beacons. (for example 1000 ms, 500 ms)
Deployment Of Beacons
After you have configured beacons, start to deploy them. Take into account golden rules: install above the head level at the height from 2 and 4 meters. The best is to place them on the ceiling. If it’s not possible, install them to the walls.
We advise using a long pole for the installation or a ladder for high-ceilinged premises. Set a beacon to the end of the pole, using a double-sided tape for better placement.
Place the beacons evenly across the location. The more beacons you use, the higher the accuracy level is. We recommend to use 1 beacon per 1000 sqm. ft. of space. Place the beacon where it will have good visibility to the end user’s phone. A clear signal without interference is the best way to achieve consistent app behavior.
After the deployment, you need to create the maps of locations. You need to interconnect them - set a location of each beacon directly on a map. Sync your updated map with the server in Navigine Demo app.
- Open application with your credentials. Download location that you need in Location Management tab.
- To add iBeacons on your map via Navigine application, run Measuring mode.
- Tap the Beacon button. Keep your device as close as possible to the beacon that you want to set.
- After that tap Start and wait about 5 seconds while the application detects the closest iBeacon and reads its parameters. All beacon settings will be automatically read and saved inside the navigation system.
- If the timer does not stop after 5 seconds, there might be conflicting beacons nearby. To avoid potential conflicts, make sure there are no other beacons in 5-7 meters.
The next important step is to upload the map to the cloud via location manager. To do that, tap the cloud button and wait while the information about your locations is uploading to the cloud.
After that, check the accuracy and proper work in the Navigine Demo App.
Developing Application With SDK
As a final step you need an app that detects beacons in proximity and easily interact with them. It can also measure approximate distance and collect data that can be useful for a variety of applications: from push notifications to indoor positioning.
In order to make your app detect beacons, you may install Navigine SDK.
Using our software tools, documentation and source code you will upgrade your mobile and deliver new functionality to your clients. As a result, you will get indoor navigation working in Navigine mobile application.