Earlier we have already covered the general topic of RTLS technologies. Now we’d like to discuss in detail using RTLS systems for positioning and navigation inside building objects. At present, many building companies start implementing construction tool tracking systems for locating assets and moving objects in real-time. It allows optimizing activity at building sites and increasing the efficiency of construction workers.
What benefits does RTLS implementation give to the construction sphere?
Real-Time Location technologies belong to the concept of the Internet of Things (IoT) and are widely used in enterprises for optimizing their everyday activity. While incorporating beacons and readers into the infrastructure, it is possible to simultaneously track thousands of objects located at building sites. The indoor solution ensures exact positioning and offers great opportunities for developing business to the representatives of the construction industry.
Tracking moving assets and vehicles at the building site
The technology significantly increases the availability of resources for construction object functioning. The whole building site is in sight and the exact location of any asset can be easily defined. Thus, the management can quickly understand where, for example, the excavators are situated. If they stand idle and are necessary at another place, it is possible to direct a driver to the equipment and set tasks on its application.
A location-aware platform for Digital Transformation of Enterprises.More
Construction equipment tracking systems allow:
- Booking equipment from one building site for further usage on a particular object.
- Reserve vehicles for some responsible person.
- Plan a set of tasks for drivers.
- Compare the projected asset use with the actual application.
Workforce management and setting tasks using the interactive platform
The real-time location monitoring technology helps to reduce labor costs and keep working processes under control. The realization is carried out using providing special ID tags that workers can wear on their uniforms.
Managers use the information received from the wearable equipment for locating builders and adjusting working tasks.
The main functions in the sphere of security are:
- Preventing workers’ presence in dangerous zones.
- Preventing unauthorized access to the building site.
In case of an emergency, the system managers can send the relevant information to the employees who are close to the place of the emergency. It helps to respond promptly to danger. While implementing the construction job tracking systems into the infrastructure of the building site, the panic buttons, which activate the alarm system, are installed. If the alarm is activated, the evacuation will be more effective since the technology allows getting the data on any person’s location.
The building navigation system helps to manage the construction site in real-time and get detailed analytical reports for improving the object performance. The system collects and registers the information that is sent to the computer or smartphone via software. Users receive the following data:
- When and who uses assets or equipment.
- Where assets or vehicles are at any time.
- The trajectory of vehicles and equipment.
- The necessity in carrying out scheduled equipment maintenance.
The main effect of the obtained analytics is constant control over the company’s activity and building process optimization. The managers don’t have to run around the building site, give orders, and define the equipment location. To get all the necessary information in real-time, only a computer is needed.
Technologies used for implementing RTLS
Navigine has developed the software product Navigine Tracking that will help you realize all the above-mentioned functions. The system is based on some technologies:
- Wi-Fi – builds wireless local area networks that have at least one access point. The system works using special signal packages transmitting their identifiers SSID. The access points work within a radius of 200 m, which makes it possible to locate objects with an accuracy of 5 m. The main strengths of this technology are its low equipment cost and high accuracy of positioning.
- BLE – works on the beacons that are installed on the territory of the building object and send Bluetooth signals at specified intervals. Smartphones with the pre-installed mobile application are used for receiving these signals. Thanks to the BLE technology, users can get information on the asset or people location, create routes to places of interest, perform analytics based on enterprise performance indicators. The accuracy of positioning starts from 30 cm. The system implementation doesn’t require high implementation costs and the management can be performed without any special skills and knowledge.
- UWB – uses short impulses for work. The infrastructure is made of wired technologies and has a wide radio frequency range, so big volumes of information can be sent over a short period. Positioning is quite accurate – up to 15 cm. The system can simultaneously support hundreds of channels and ensure the complete security of transmitted data.
Navigine develops RTLS solutions for the building industry and provides services for their implementation at building sites. We offer our customers effective tools that will increase the security and efficiency of construction objects.